Saturday 14 June 2014

The day before my sugarless future

Earlier this week I saw the book 'I Quit Sugar' by Sarah Wilson (see here) in Tesco.  At £9, I didn't buy it...but I did get it for Kindle for considerably less!  Having done the Harcombe diet in the past, I've been sugar-free before, and I know I coped and I didn't miss it.  I didn't find it sustainable though, and relapsed to 'normal' eating, finding myself 20lbs heavier two years later.  In February 2013 I embarked on 5:2 and lost that, and more, and have stayed at a healthy weight for more than a year. 

So right now I'm 46, I weigh less than I have done for many years, and I can run for two hours or more non-stop.  I've set new Personal Bests for 5k and 10k several times over in the last six months, achieving times I didn't think I was capable of.  Recently I've been running 18-21km every other weekend, and not finding it too much of a struggle at all...in fact, I've even enjoyed it! 

So why give up sugar?  Well, last year I spent around £500 on repairing the damage sugar has done to my teeth.  I said then that I would reduce my intake.  I think I did, for a while, but I've slipped back into bad habits recently.  I find it easy to fast and can even go without food for 24-36 hours, no problem, but I often eat sweets and chocolate on days when I'm not fasting.  It's become too much of a habit, it's not good for me, and I want to stop.

This weekend I have the house to myself and as well as housework, shopping and running I'm systematically clearing the fridge and cupboards of the things I don't want to eat any more.  Today, that means eating quite a lot of Muller Greek-style yogurts!  I need to re-read the book, start my shopping list (chia seeds and coconut seem to feature highly) and start my journey towards a sugarless future.


No comments:

Post a Comment